How do I know what the GVW of my motorhome is?

It is shown in the V5 ( log book) item and also on the VIN plate on line 3.

VIN plate

Can I drive a motorhome on my car licence?

If your motorhome is over 3.5 tonnes MAM but does not exceed 7.5 tonnes you will 
need to hold a driving licence that includes category Cl entitlement. If you passed 
your car test before 1.1.97 you will have Cl on your licence. If your licence does not 
include category Cl you may not drive a motorhome that exceeds 3.5 tonnes. If your motorhome exceeds 7.S tonnes you will need a Category C (HGV licence).

How do I ensure that I am not overloading my motorhome?

  • GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) MTPLM (Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass) MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) REVENUE WEIGHT

The above all relate to the maximum weight of the vehicle.

MIRO Mass in running order is the weight of your motorhome as it left the factory plus a full tank of fuel and an allowance of 75 kg for a driver. Contents and any additions are not included. The payload is the difference between the maximum weigh allowed and the MIRO. For example if the VIN plate states a GVW of 3500 kg and the manufacturer states a MIRO of 2900kg then the payload is 3500 - 2900 = 600kg. The safest way to ensure that you are not overloading your motorhome is to take it to a weigh bridge. Whatever that figure turns out to be taken from the GVW is your actual payload. This method takes into account additions such as bike racks , awnings etc….


Do you hire motorhomes?

No we don’t hire motorhomes, however we recommend Southwell Motorhome Hire Ltd for your holiday or business hire requirements. Owned and managed by Edward Muxworthy, the company is dedicated to providing exceptional service and quality. Please visit the Southwell Motorhome Hire website, for details of their top of the range motorhomes and contact details.

Featured Motorhome